Who are Ronald McDonald House Charities Trust?
Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust “helps families of seriously ill children” by providing accommodation, family rooms, learning programs and family holidays.
Note: RMHC has one central trust and various RMHC chapters. Each chapter is independent of this central trust – they have their own board, management and undertake their own fundraising. The trust distributes centralized funds as grants to the chapters. This basic assessment is for RMHC Trust only. The results of my assessment for RMHC Trust may or may not be consistent with the results of RMHC chapters.
Why do they exist?
They want to “help keep families together and close to the care their child needs.”
What do they do?
They provide grants to Ronald Mcdonald House Charity chapters for the following:
- Houses: subsidised accommodation for seriously ill children and their families across 16 houses attached to major women's or children’s hospitals.
- Family Rooms: “warm spaces” within the hospital containing lounge areas, sleeping rooms, laundries and cooking facilities.
- Family Retreats: holiday accommodation in four locations provided to families of children with serious illness.
They also fund the following:
- Learning Program: assistance for children to catch up on missed education and assistance for teachers with students that have returned from a serious illness.
- Scholarships: one-off grants of up to $5,000 to give young people with serious illness the chance to “follow their career dreams”.
- Care Mobile: 12-metre long mobile consulting rooms that provide health care services to rural and remote areas of NSW.
- Cord Blood Banks: provision of ongoing financial support the Cord Blood Banks of Australia.
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Ronald McDonald House Charities?
Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They are very clear about what they are doing, where their money goes and the potential benefits of these activities. They are also generally clear about they manage conflicts of interest.
However, to have complete confidence in Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust we need to see more. We currently don't know who makes up their executive team or how remuneration is determined. It is not clear if/how the organisation monitors performance and if/how they evaluate the success of their programs. Finally, while they present the overall objectives of their strategy in their Annual Report, the details of this strategy are unclear.
After considering both the strengths and weaknesses of Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust, our recommendation is neutral. They present basic information that indicates they are probably trustworthy and may be effective, but we need further assurances before being able to recommend them with confidence.
In order to improve our confidence with Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust, we would like to see:
- a description of the executive team, how their performance is monitored and their remuneration;
- more detail on the strategic plan; and
- evaluations of the grants they offer to the various houses, retreats and programs and the extent to which they fulfill Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust’s mission.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Trust below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether Ronald McDonald House Charities Trust is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.