Do not donate.
Who are Legacy Australia?
Legacy Australia provide “services to Australian families suffering after the injury or death of a spouse or parent, during or after their defence force service.”
Legacy Australia Inc. comprises 48 member Clubs across Australia, and one member Club in London. Clubs may consist of divisions/groups/branches. This basic assessment is for Legacy Australia Incorporated only. The results of my assessment for Legacy Australia Incorporated may or may not be consistent with the results Legacy clubs, divisions, groups or branches.
Why do they exist?
They are “dedicated to caring for the families of veterans who have died or become incapacitated either on service or subsequently.”
What do they do?
They currently care for around 65,000 widow(er)s and 1,800 children and disabled dependents throughout Australia through the following programs:
- Support for young families and children: providing financial support, counselling and family support, grants and scholarships, mentorship programs for children and outward bound courses, adventure activities and holiday camps, and advocating for entitlements.
- Protecting ageing and vulnerable widows: advising, guiding and helping the ageing widows of veterans, constructing individual care plans for socially isolated widows, providing advice and support in maintaining homes so they are suitable for ageing, providing assistance with allied and ancillary medical care, helping to manage the transition to aged care, and providing loans, grants or allowances in case of financial hardship.
- Caring for dependents with disabilities: offering advice to those living with or caring for someone with a disability, curating cultural, sporting and fellowship outings, assisting with lifestyle and independence training, assisting with the transition to residential care.
- Protection for defence force families: providing a support network for defence families if and when it is needed.
- Pension advocacy: assisting eligible families to access their government entitlements.
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Legacy Australia?
Legacy Australia are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They broadly describe their mission, highlight the need for their services and describe their activities. They also list the people running the organisation and present a basic level of financial transparency.
However, Legacy Australia need to present additional information for me to recommend donating to them. In order to demonstrate that they are trustworthy, we need to see more on how they are governed and how they manage their finances. They do not present a complete financial report. It is not clear what the skills and experience of the board and executive are, or how their key people are remunerated. In addition, Legacy Australia do not demonstrate basic signs of effectiveness. They do not outline a strategy or the results of their activities, or indicate they are evaluating the quality of their services.
After reviewing Legacy Australia’s published information, we are unable to recommend donating to them. They do not present basic information that shows they are trustworthy or effective. In order to offer even a neutral recommendation, we need to see:
- a complete financial report;
- further detail on the how the board and executive are compensated;
- further information on the policies used to distribute funds across members; and
- a description of their activities and results of those activities for the latest financial year.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Legacy Australia and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Legacy Australia below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether Legacy Australia is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.