Who are Australian Red Cross Society?
Australian Red Cross Society work to save lives and support people before and after disasters strike, alleviate suffering during wars and conflict, and promote humanitarian laws and values.
Note: Australian Red Cross Society is split into two divisions: the Blood Service division (generating about 70% of income), which supplies the Australian community with blood and related products, and Humanitarian Services (generating 30% of income) which supports and empowers people and communities. Our evaluation is based on an assessment of the whole organisation.
Why do they exist?
They want to contribute to increased community resilience, contribute to a more peaceful world where the laws of war are upheld by all, and support the most vulnerable in our global community by significantly reducing the number of people who are deeply socially excluded.
What do they do?
Programs are delivered across the following strategic areas:
- Build an inclusive, diverse and active humanitarian movement based on voluntary service: support volunteers to undertake check-in calls to clients, provide financial and material relief to people, and make trips to support isolated people.
- Save lives, build resilient communities and support people in disasters: deliver first aid and mental health training, raise and distribute funds in global crises, build disaster preparedness, respond to emergency events and assist people after emergencies.
- Prevent and alleviate human suffering in times of war and conflict and promote non-violence and peace: teach people about International Humanitarian Law (IHL), protect The Red Cross and Red Crescent emblems as a symbol for ‘don’t shoot’, and advocate for the banning of nuclear weapons.
- Improve the wellbeing of those experiencing extreme vulnerability: partner with indigenous communities, research the Australian justice system and the underlying causes of offence, provide emergency relief to migrants in crisis, support trafficked people, reconnect families from conflict areas and monitor the wellbeing of detainees in immigration detention.
- Provide a safe, secure and cost-effective supply of blood and related products: test, process and distribute blood and blood products to patients across Australia, and undertake work in organ transplant and tissue-based therapies.
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Australian Red Cross Society?
Australian Red Cross Society are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They describe their strategy and target outcomes in depth, are clear about their results, and are transparent with how their organisation and their finances are governed. Notably, they work within a broad landscape of partners to deliver on their objectives.
However, there are further steps they should take to improve their trustworthiness and effectiveness. To improve trustworthiness, we would like to see a clear conflict of interest policy. To improve confidence in their effectiveness, we would like to see information on how they evaluate their programs. We note that their Annual Report states that they are evaluating international development programs, but we were unable to locate these evaluations for consideration in this assessment.
After considering both their strengths and weaknesses, our recommendation for Australian Red Cross Society is neutral. They present basic information that indicates they are probably trustworthy and effective, but we need further assurances before being able to recommend them with confidence. In order to improve our confidence in Australian Red Cross Society, we would like to see:
- clarity in the performance measures used for the executive team and board
- policies in place to avoid conflicts of interest; and
- evaluations of their programs.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Australian Red Cross Society and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Australian Red Cross Society below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether the Australian Red Cross is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.