Donate with confidence.
Who are Movember?
Movember fund “men’s health programs including research and health programs … focusing on prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention” around the world. They also undertake activities that raise global awareness of men’s health issues. Funding is generated primarily through an annual campaign held during the month of November.
Why do they exist?
Movember highlight that:
- men experience worse longer-term health than women and die on average six years earlier;
- prostate cancer rates will double in the next 15 years;
- testicular cancer rates have already doubled in the last 50 years;
- three quarters of suicides are men;
- more than 500,000 men take their own life every year.
What do they do?
Movember’s work is focused in the area of prostate cancer, but they also fund programs around men’s health, mental health and suicide prevention and testicular cancer. Movember fund the following:
- Biomedical research: research to diagnose, treat and ultimately cure prostate cancer; connecting the worldwide research community to work smarter and across borders.
- Clinical quality: working with clinicians to improve the standard of treatment and reduce side effects.
- Health services: advocating for improvements in health services to reach more men.
- Care: finding ways to improve the standard of care for men and their families.
- Education: ensuring that men know when and how to take early action and make the right treatment decisions.
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Movember?
Movember are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They describe their vision and set clear, accountable goals. They describe in depth the programs they fund and their outcomes. They clearly describe their people, their governance charter (including approaches to overcoming conflict of interest) and are transparent with their finances.
They also provide strong evidence that they are an impact-driven charity. Many organisations that undertake or fund medical research avoid measuring their outcomes; they don’t believe it’s possible to do so, due to long time horizons and uncertain outcomes. Movember, however, have directly addressed and overcome this problem for their work in tackling prostate cancer. They have worked with a team of scientists to develop an evaluation framework that helps them monitor the progress of the research they fund. They indicate that they analyse the results of their programs to further refine their strategy. Most importantly, Movember shares this evaluation framework, demonstrating how outcome measurement and strategic investment in research is possible.
Movember demonstrate they are both trustworthy and effective. Based on our analysis, we believe your donation will be used carefully and strategically to achieve their mission. It is for this reason we give a ‘donate with confidence’ recommendation.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Movember and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Movember below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether Movember is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.