Who are Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia?
Royal Flying Doctor Service work to improve health outcomes for country Australians. The Federation Company Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (assessed here), oversees and leads the seven companies of the Royal Flying Doctor Service Federation.
Note: This is an assessment of Royal Flying Doctor Service Federation Company only. The results may or may not be consistent with those of its member sections: Central Operations, Eastern Goldfields WA Section, South Eastern Section, Queensland Section, Tasmanian Section, Victorian Section and Western Australian Section.
Why do they exist?
Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia have found that “remote and rural Australians have up to three times the prevalence of avoidable chronic illness [compared to other Australians]. They see doctors at half the rate, medical specialists and dentists at one-third the rate, and mental health practitioners at one-fifth the rate.”
What do they do?
Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia work to:
- manage the Royal Flying Doctor Service Federation’s funding and regulatory relationship with the Commonwealth government;
- build a public policy voice for better health outcomes for country Australians;
- distill a strategic vision for the betterment of the shared mission of the Federation companies; and
- facilitate communication and information sharing from and between the Federation companies.
Note that Royal Flying Doctor Service companies work across the following areas:
- Aeromedical retrieval 24/7 emergency medical retrievals in rural and remote areas
- GP and nurse clinics - Primary health clinics made available to communities in country Australia
- Telehealth - 24/7 remote consultations with a qualified doctor and serviced by more than 3,000 medical chests around Australia
- Dental - Regular dental services for basic oral health as well as emergency and restorative dental care
- Patient transport - Transporting patients to another hospital for specialist care needed
- Other - Health education, and mental health and specialist services made available to remote communities
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia?
Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They list who is running the organisation, are transparent with their finances and show how they manage conflicts of interest. They also display signs of effectiveness. They describe their mission and activities in depth, and they are clear about the work they have delivered and their major achievements. Notably, they have also undertaken research into health priorities for people living in rural and remote areas.
However, there are further assurances they need to provide in order to verify their trustworthiness and effectiveness. While they are very clear about what they are doing, they do not describe how these activities align with a broader strategy. It is also not clear if they evaluate their programs to get a better understanding of how they can improve rural health outcomes. There is some ambiguity in their finances; they do not show how they distribute funding across member organisations. Finally, they do not present biographies of the board and executive team, making it difficult to have confidence that key personnel are suitable for running the organisation.
After assessing both their strengths and weaknesses, our recommendation for Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia is neutral. They demonstrate only basic indicators that show they are trustworthy and effective. In order to improve our recommendation, we need to see:
- an overarching strategy;
- program evaluations;
- more on the board and executive team, including information on their skills and qualifications; and
- more on how funds are distributed to member organisations.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.