Who are Careflight?
CareFlight deliver “rapid response critical care”. They provide aircraft to retrieve seriously hurt patients and provide specialist doctors and nurses to accident and disaster scenes.
Why do they exist?
They wish to “save lives, speed recovery and serve the community by providing the highest standard of rapid response critical care”.
What do they do?
CareFlight undertake the following work.
- Emergency and rescue: helicopters, aeroplanes and jets to fly specialist medical teams to the critically ill and injured.
- Patient care and transfer: treating and transporting patients in need of specialist care, around Australia and internationally.
- Education and training: training their doctors, nurses and paramedics and partners in the chain of survival.
- Innovation and research: improving care systems and equipment to save more lives and achieve better patient outcomes.
- CareFlight International Air Ambulance: a range of interstate, offshore and international medical and/or aviation services.
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Careflight?
CareFlight are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They demonstrate signs they are effective. They describe their strategic direction and activities and highlight some of their achievements. Notably, they pay particular attention to improving the care of their patients by undertaking research programs into the quality of their healthcare and services. This research is peer-reviewed and publically accessible, indicating a commitment to improve the public field of knowledge in emergency health care.
However, I need to see more on how they are managed and governed before having complete confidence in CareFlight. It is not currently clear the individuals and positions that make up their key management personnel. It is also unclear how/when allowances are paid to Directors that “undertake work above and beyond their normal role” and how these allowances are set in a way that avoids any material personal interest. Adding to that, while they mention that they monitor their own performance, it is not clear how. Finally, it’s unclear how CareFlight spend money across various program areas. This information is necessary for us to understand the charity’s genuine priority areas.
After assessing both their strengths and weaknesses, our recommendation for CareFlight is neutral. They demonstrate that they are generally effective, but show only basic indicators of trustworthiness. In order to improve my recommendation for CareFlight, we need to see:
- a policy on how allowances are set for Directors that undertake work above and beyond their normal role;
- a description of the individuals and positions that make up their key management personnel;
- more on how CareFlight evaluate their own performance and that of their CEO; and
- a breakdown of the cost to deliver each key program area.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Careflight and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Careflight below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether Careflight is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.