Who are Camp Quality?
Camp Quality support “kids 0-13 impacted by cancer, and their family, by providing essential support services.” They offer education, family support, hospital support and recreation programs.
Why do they exist?
Camp Quality believe every child in Australia impacted by cancer should be given every opportunity to thrive. They highlight that a “cancer experience can place enormous physical, emotional and financial stress on families.”
They note the scale of the problem: “Current estimates suggest over 600 children will be newly diagnosed with cancer in Australia in the coming year. A further 10,000 will be living at some stage of their cancer experience. In addition a further 130,000 will have a parent diagnosed with cancer.”
What do they do?
Camp Quality deliver a range of programs/services split across the following areas:
- Hospital: Child life therapists work with children growing up with cancer in hospital. Puppets visit the primary schools and pre-schools of children diagnosed with cancer, and children who have a diagnosed parent or sibling, across Australia. Family liaison coordinators visit children’s hospitals, introducing families to their services and encouraging access to the programs that meet their needs.
- School: a touring puppet show answers difficult questions kids have about cancer, for preschool and primary schools of children diagnosed with cancer and those who have a parent or sibling diagnosed.
- Home: The Kids’ Guide to Cancer App provides free, interactive educational program that answers the most common questions children have about cancer. The Financial Support Program provides financial aid for bereaved families in extreme financial difficulty. Family Experiences are tickets to events or shows provided to Camp Quality.
- Away: Camps provided to kids impacted by cancer, and their families, to offer them a break to strengthen their wellbeing and boost their support networks. Camp Quality offer kids camps, family camps, fun days, family experiences and retreats.
How do they earn their money?
How do they spend their money?
Should I donate to Camp Quality?
Camp Quality are a legally registered charity with deductible gift recipient status. They are trustworthy; they clearly describe their board, executive team, are transparent with their finances and have measures in place to avoid misuse of funds. They also break down their expenses by program area, which allows me to start to understand the efficiency of the organisation. Camp Quality also demonstrate they are generally effective. They clearly describe their mission, their strategy to address it, the programs they are undertaking and the results of their programs. Notably, they map all results back to strategic objectives to give a clear picture of their progress against particular goals.
However, Camp Quality needs to provide more evidence of their evaluations before we are confident of their effectiveness. Camp Quality have indicated that they have commissioned a social return on investment report for one of their programs and have ambitions to apply that same framework to understand the impact of their entire portfolio of programs. However, we were unable to locate this report on their website or through a Google search. We were also unable to locate any other program evaluations. We need to be able to read complete evaluation reports to verify their quality and ensure they demonstrate a genuine reflection of service quality, not self-promotion, before having complete confidence in a charity.
Considering both the strengths and weaknesses of Camp Quality, my recommendation is neutral. They provide information that indicates they are trustworthy and probably effective, but we need further assurances before recommending them with confidence. In order to improve our confidence in Camp Quality, we would like to see:
- program evaluation reports.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
We have investigated the finances, operations and results of Camp Quality and present our evaluation in a report that you can download now. This evaluation shows you how your donation is spent, who is running the organisation and whether there are any potential conflicts of interest. It also examines whether the charity can demonstrate that they are delivering meaningful results. Finally, it contains our recommendations for potential donors and the reasoning behind them.
Download our complete evaluation of Camp Quality below to find out if they're the charity for you.
Find out whether Camp Quality is the charity for you. In this evaluation we describe what this charity does and why, what you should know about them, how your money is spent, who is running the organisation and whether they deliver results. Last of all, we recommend whether you should donate to them based on the findings of our analysis.